Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Review of SHARPIE MARKERS as Gundam markers


After some time with Gunpla models I decide to make my Gundams even more detailed. Later I want to buy paints itself, but for now I wanted to try something different. Gundam markers are great for adding little details to your Gundams. I found some nice pictures on Instagram with some nice metallic details, so I asked which style of painting are used on model. I figured out, that models are simply painted with gundam markers, but in this case with Sharpie metallic markers. Regullar gundam markers are hard to get in my country, so I wanted to buy sharpie ones xD Actually, this ones was a birthday gift from my mother's fiancee, but everyone knows whose idea it was xD



So I got this metallic Sharpie permanent markers with fine tip. Before unboxing like a wolverine I made some pictures of unwrapped packaging. We have three colours here - gold, bronze and silver, which are perfect for our purposes xD

Lid of each marker show us type of colour, so we can easily noticed which is which xD Rounded design help us hold markers pretty secure.


Package tell us that tip is fine, but I would prefer to be smaller. But later when I compare this tip with regular Gundam markers I came up to that both are almost same.


After all that I decide to try this markers for first time to my RG Zaku II. At first I choose trusters on the lower part of the legs. At first I used gold colour for base and then I apply thin layer of silver on the rounded edges. Final look are amazing and this markers are really great, they dry fast and they are really shiny. I did not expect uch a shine xD


I also added some colour on the small trusters around foot and some bronze on the sides. Differences are visible and this little touch made our Gundams look much better.


Before we start to paint parts in detail we must disassembly some parts and get part which we want to paint. Some parts are very tiny and we must use some tools for holding (pinzette, toothpicks, etc. ).


Its good to give painted parts a little bit of time for drying, I recomended something about 5 minutes. On the picture under are little trusters of my RG Zaku II on Toothpicks after application of single layer of gold colour with Sharpie Metallic Gold Marker.


On next picture we can see difference between unpainted and already painted trusters, such a difference xD Gold base with little touch of silver looks almost like real metal xD


Bottom of the foot look the best, probably because high colour shade difference. My gundams look better and better xD


And here we have final look of RG Zaku II foot from behind after painting with Sharpie metallic markers. I will definitelly use this markers in the future and Iam really happy with the results.



4 comments:

  1. Thanks! I was wondering what to get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Iam glad that I could help you xD

      Delete
  2. So for detailing then!?
    For example if I am building the Star Winning Gundam and I want to skip the detail stickers.
    Are Sharpie markers a better alternative?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Taurean, detail stickers for your gundam are usually sharp, you wont be able to archieve simmilar results. One sulution is to use masking tape or to paint whole part with one color. Its always better to use sharpies on small details, you can see line strokes on big surfaces. Top coat after application will protect the results xD

      Delete